In the U.S, cardio-neurovascular diseases are the first leading cause of death, with more than 650,000 deaths each year. It is the leading cause of death among women and the very elderly. How to prevent them? What are the natural gestures to implement in your daily life for the health of your heart and your arteries? Discover these natural methods to take care of your heart.
Don’t underestimate light physical activity! 30 minutes of walking a day reduce the risk of heart attack by 20%. Moreover, moving daily is more beneficial than 1 hour of intensive sport per week.
Since the most important thing is to limit the time you sit:
- Get off a bus/subway stop before your destination,
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator,
- Ride your bike for short distances,
- Walk your dog,
- Brick your house (and yes, good news, housework counts!),
- Get up from your chair every hour to stretch and take a few steps.
Eat healthy to take care of your heart naturally
To maintain the flexibility of your arteries and the quality of your blood :
- Make up your plate mostly of raw vegetables and cooked vegetables.
- Since fibers will limit the passage of sugar and “bad” fats in the blood, integrate good fibers by eating fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Limit refined sugars (white sugar, white bread, white pasta…) and industrial processed products.
- Eat omega 3 (essential fatty acids not produced by the body): rapeseed or flaxseed oil, fatty fish (sardines, mackerel, salmon), oilseeds (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds) and flaxseeds, hemp, or chia seeds.
- Salt your dishes in moderation.
Feeling hungry during the day? Always have a piece of fruit and a handful of oilseeds at the office or home, so you don’t end up with a sweet treat.
Manage your stress better
Stress promotes the formation of plaque in the arteries, thus increasing the risk of cardiovascular accidents. Opt for cardiac coherence! This breathing technique helps reduce blood pressure in people with high blood pressure and alleviates symptoms related to stress. Take the time to breathe 3 times a day with 6 breaths per minute (5 seconds in and 5 seconds out) for 5 minutes. Practice an artistic activity! You don’t have to be an artist; simply coloring for 45 minutes can reduce the effects of stress.
Get enough sleep
Whether it’s on the weekend or during the week, stick to the same schedule. Go to bed at a set time. Give yourself 7-8 hour nights to allow your body to rest and recharge. Indeed, repeated short nights (<5-6 hours) increase the risk of coronary heart disease. It also appears important to be regular in the number of hours of sleep per night and the bedtime/wake-up time.
Take care of your teeth
Poor oral hygiene allows oral bacteria to enter the bloodstream. This causes inflammation in the body that can lead to heart failure. So protect your arteries by brushing your teeth! It is recommended to brush your teeth twice a day with a soft brush and, for some, to take courage by consulting a dentist at the slightest concern.
Limit your tobacco consumption
From 1 cigarette a day, the heart and arteries are in danger! Tobacco causes a brutal narrowing of the arteries, favors the formation of blood clots, and prevents optimal oxygenation of the body. In the long term, tobacco contributes to the stiffening of the arteries. Different professionals can help you stop smoking: tobaccologist, addictologist, acupuncturist, hypnologist, naturopath, sophrologist… choose the discipline that suits you best.
By integrating these natural tips into your daily life, you take care of your heart, and even more, you take care of your whole body. Each piece of advice followed is a step towards better health. What will be yours?
We don’t give any medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult with your physician or seek medical attention before making any health or food-related decisions.
This article is about some simple general health or food tips that you can find everywhere on the internet, not about some deep professional advice.